Temple Beth-El | Rabbi Leslie Yale Gutterman Religious School
Madrichim (plural of Madrich [m] and Madricha [f]) are teachers’ aides assigned to assist teachers who teach younger students. Madrichim should understand that they are an integral part of the teacher’s plan for the operation of the classroom and are expected to be present at each of the scheduled sessions. Madrichim work at the direction of the classroom teachers to whom they are assigned. Madrichim attend an orientation session before the school year begins and are required to attend one or two training sessions during the year.
Qualifications for this job include an interest in working with children and extending your own Jewish knowledge and involvement, and a willingness to take direction from the classroom teacher. Madrichim must be responsible and provide a positive role model for younger children.
Madrichim must be in 11th or 12th grade or above who commit to being at school for each session as well as attend all school programs and holiday celebrations. Madrichim will be paid a total of $360 for the year.
The following are specific requirements for classroom Madrichim:
- Arrive 15 minutes before the session begins to assist the teacher in setting up the classroom for learning.
- Stay 10 minutes after the end of the session to assist with cleaning up and putting things away.
- Collect and count tzedakah.
- Assist the teacher with supervision of activities.
- Provide assistance to individual students and small groups.
- Assist the teacher in the transition from one activity to another.
- Plan lessons for, and teach, individual students or small groups under the direction of the teacher.
- Communicate with the teacher regularly about lessons and the things you observe in the classroom.
- Maintain the confidentiality of the students and the teacher.
- Other duties as assigned by the individual teacher.
2016-17 Religious School Sessions – Sundays from 10:00am – 12:30pm
September 11, 18, 25
October 2, 16, & 30
November 6, 13, 20
December 4, 18
January 8, 22, & 29
February 5, 12, 26
March 5 & 26
April 2, 9, 23, 30
All School Programs & Holiday Celebrations (not during RS hours)
Simchat Torah – October 23rd at 6:30pm
Chanukah – December 10th at 6:00pm
Mitzvah Day – January 16th 11:00am-2:00pm
Purim – March 11 at 6:30pm